Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
Third: Things should never get harder just because you are higher level now. If you always roll against the same target numbers, there is no point in levelling up, as you never actually get better at anything. If I have to roll a 15 on level one to pick the rusty bronze lock and a 15 at level 20 to pick the god-crafted eternium lock, what's the point?
The point is that the god-crafted eternium lock is no harder for you now than the rusty bronze lock was at the start of your career. i.e. you have to roll a 15 for both...you have a 30% chance to pick the rusty bronze lock at level 1, and a 30% change to pick a god-crafted eternium lock at level 20. Why is this a problem?

You do get better at things, just by a different metric: the number I have to roll against a level-appropriate challenge doesn't necessarily change, but the level-appropriate challenge *does* change, so my skill *does* show. An untrained thief could *never* pick a god-crafted lock...but I'm skilled enough that it's as easy to me as a good iron lock is to the average thief. That speaks volumes about my skill (IMO). Would you disagree?