Quote Originally Posted by Jonzac View Post
It's not a reskin of the old game...and frankly parts of the old game needed fixing (RNG to hit someone one square away with a pistol being one).
What was the chance to hit for that shot? If it was 95% (and a lot of games are capped at 95), you could just have rolled a 1. If it happens three times in a row, then yes, RNG is the problem.

However, if the chance to hit 1 square away is 60%, then the issue is not the RNG, it is the chance-to-hit engine. I saw a one-on-one multiplayer demo in which one of the floaters managed to miss a target two squares away twice. I suspect that they are using a similar definition of round that D&D does: a few seconds of real time. Yes, it is difficutl to miss a target five feet away with a gun when you have a few seconds to aim and shoot, but in combat, you may just be running past him, shoot, then run for cover again, and in those circumstances you could miss entirely, or just scratch them, which in gameplay terms is a miss (when the enemy only has three HP, scratches can't count). That sense of urgency is lost in turn-based games, though, and there is little that can be done about it (short of the not easily implementable "assign orders, hit turn end, your soldiers follow orders at the same time the enemy does").

I do wonder if you get bonuses to hit when behind cover and/or when you haven't moved...

Grey Wolf