Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
Sí!

Now I just need to find her the perfect dance partner.
Does it need to be a male pony? Derpy and Dashie would probably do a really good, really wild routine. And I think Derpy+Lyra (as a temporary thing that Bon-Bon is okay with) would be pretty interesting and new age.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post

Names are hard. :/
That they are ponithid 2, that they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
And I hope you know that this whole thing isn't meant in seriousness

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
Woah...creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
Here, here!

Whatever her name means, it's not fair to take it out on her, now is it, ponythread?

Maybe it means something nice in Equestrian.

Maybe it's short for something else.

Maybe it just doesn't have the same negative connotations (as we've had this conversation many times before, and the point has been raised that it's not nearly so negative in some quarters of the world, and that "derpy" can be seen just as negatively).

Maybe she was named by parents that were outright jerks, and her name was just one in a never-ending series of hateful swipes at one parent by the other, out of spite, and she spent a miserable childhood before being rescued by social services; and she clings to her name, because despite everything, it's the only thing her parents ever gave her that she likes, because she likes the sound.

(Okay, I probably wouldn't have thought of that last one if I hadn't just been watching a CSI Miami episode which involved children.)

Dammit ponyfandom, now you've got me sad-idea-ing.
I concede this point, though if it's really an issue of cultural misunderstanding, I would hope that Ditzy is understanding of us and willing to correct our mistakes, rather than bursting into tears and making us feel bad.