Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
Define legitimate? So long as you aren't a career criminal or a mooching housewife you've got a legitimate career. I mean, so long as you have a career at all.
I feel pressured to be in a more "normal" job like some sort of scientist or doctor or something when all I can see myself wanting to do for more than five years in any given field are writing and musical theatre. My mother no doubt told my father that I was looking for creative writing majors when me and her came back from a college fair. Yet when he asked me what I wanted, I did what I usually did and clammed up, saying I didn't know, so that I would not be able to to hear him disapprove of it. He might be okay with it, but
I'm not sure. So when I said I didn't know, he suggested to be some science researcher type person. When I said that it would be boring after five or so years and I didn't want to be bored with my existence, he replied, "but you'd be good at it." Just because I might do well in a career doesn't mean I feel any urge to choose it. I want to do something I love, not just something occasionally interesting.