Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
Okay, so I'm finally working up motivation to restart work on my Fluttershy Mindscape fic, for its own sake. But I have a feeling that one of the core concepts is lacking: the cause of the conflict.

Let me recap since it's been so long since I've worked on this. The central concept is that through some mystical aid, Pinkie explores Fluttershy's mindscape to figure out what's got her critically depressed and avoiding all contact. The source of all this is an out of control Inner Critic dominating her mindscape and Pinkie goes through and talks to and deals with the other aspects of her personality to figure out what happened and how to deal with it.

Now this is where I'm having trouble. Currently what I have is that an accident in the marketplace has dredged up memories of a time when her exuberance unintentionally created a situation where an animal became severely injured. The problem that I have is that I can't really tie this to have her blaming herself over being joyful causing injuries. Would it make more sense for the resurgence of this memory to cause her to be ultra-careful to the point of not doing anything? Or should I change the cause of the rise of self-loathing?
I don't think you really need to change it. One of the things about irrational people is that their connections and motivations don't quite make sense. Having the experience be slightly off relative to what's happening might make the reader uncomfortable in a way that genuinely matches what's going on in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
Would you be able to spare a couple hundred bucks for a set of ties?

I especially like the Raritie.
The Lyra and BonBon tie (TieraBon, heh) is tempting, but there's no place I would go that involves both
a) wearing a tie and
b) being able to get away with that tie.

I own a Looney Tunes tie, which is far more mainstream, and I still basically never wear it because it's too informal for anything in law that requires you wear a tie. And, if the place is informal enough not to require a tie, why would I wear one?