Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
And, at least for me, that makes the Yozi situation not fine as a piece of the setting. If the Yozi are at all a part of a game that I'm in, I feel like an absolute monster, as a player, for not helping them, regardless of what my character knows or doesn't know. You can talk about metagaming all you want, but I, as a player, can't help but feel bad if I've already pulled my suspension of disbelief back far enough to become emotionally invested in the game and the setting. I can't imagine a more heroic thing, a more worthy thing, for any character other than the worst kind of person, than to end the suffering of the Yozi in any way they can.

And, in that way, the Yozi eclipse the rest of the setting. For me. Not even touching on the whole "they're the biggest threat so they invalidate all stories about threats" currently making the rounds in the Vitriolic Echo Chamber of Sychophantic Inanity that is... parts of the White Wolf Exalted Forum (I'm currently keeping my fingers crossed in the hopes that meschlum makes a Fair Folk baffmodad by that name), I would say that they're the biggest tragedy, and eclipse all other tragedies if introduced into a story. For me.
I guess that's where we disagree. I can understand finding a great tragedy makes one unable to care about other stuff perfectly well - but I can't quite understand finding the Yozi to be the greatest tragedy in a setting where actual innocent people sufer every day.

The Yozi are, basically, the mad scientist from movies who creates robots, gives them sentience and hopes and dreams instead of just making nonsentient tools, and then proceeds to treat the robots as having absolutely no worth or value, just as stupid tools to be destroyed and built to his whim. So in the end, the robots turn on him and kill him horribly. I must say, while watching such movies, my sympathy for such a person is nil, and definitely wouldn't term such a death as "a great tragedy".