Default Re: Mathematics and precedence rules

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Yes. it should be ... let's see ...

(6 - (1 * 0)) + (2/2).

which resolvs to
    (6 - 0 ) + (2/2)

which gives us

6+1 = 7.

I wonder if there is a web site which does drills so I can brush up on this?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Kahn Academy is great for all math related learning.

I must respectfully disagree. When 100,000 people respond to this question and only a fraction of them get it right, this is an indication that the equation is poorly written. It may be unambiguous to a person who has a proper understanding of precedence rules, but it is obvious that this is a fraction of the general population. So if I was writing this for a general audience, I would include brackets and parenthesis to ensure there would be less chance of misinterpretation.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    No, it means many of them have deficient understanding of math, either due to a failure to properly understand the concepts involved or due to wilful ignorance; not that it is badly written. The operation is correct, those answering are wrong, in this case interpretation is unique, people are just plain wrong.

While in literature one could ask for a simpler vocabulary (at the cost of losing the poeticalness and layers of interpretation) in mathematics asking to make it easier to solve is indulging in wilful ignorance; it is not the writer's fault but the audience for not knowing something which is taught in elementary school.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-10-11 at 11:05 AM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.