View Single Post

Thread: PETA releases statement opposing Pokemon

1. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: PETA releases statement opposing Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by sharp41 View Post
    I'm sure someone ought to point out that, at least from an ecological standpoint, Soylent Green is actually a terrific idea...

...while in real-life, err, maybe not. Although I'm sure that PETA would love that one... I'm surprised they ain't campaigning for it already.

Carbohydrates (the macronutrient most plants provide) surely have a place in the food chain (carb reloading sounds like an interesting resource), but I don't buy it that they're that good... Suffice to say that while humans can live ok without eating plants (though that'll result in the need for the consumption of other animals' organs), they don't do good without essential amino acids or essential fatty acids.

I'm not sure you can get those on a straight-up vegetarian diet without supplementation or food choices that wouldn't be available without modern supply chains, as in, food was hauled across the country, which also happens to not be very healthy.
    There are plant sources that are high in protein, and you can get both amino and fatty acids from a number of legumes, particularly the soybean, which are also plants. Don't downplay the importance of carbs though. They play a major role in providing the energy necessary to keep the brain running at peak performance, as I understand it.

I've made my point about the complexity of determining how removing or reducing the number of meat animals in production will impact the global biosphere, so I'll leave it alone until after I've had a chance to read that UN report. Stupid wii can't open pdf's. For the moment though, I still have my doubts.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-16 at 04:26 AM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign