This very definitely looks like a good read to me. Elves being treated as pointy-eared people who are always really pretty, live close to forever, and sparkle in sunlight live in harmony with nature has always annoyed me. If you want to play a human who's immortal and spectacularly hawt, Elans from the Psionics Handbook are exactly that, even there's no psionics in the game. (They do admittedly have a Charisma penalty, but Charisma is not actually supposed to be the sole determiner of beauty, even if it's all the D&D mechanics offer; it governs too many other things, and thus building a pretty but shy person is literally impossible in D&D world if you go strictly by the RAW descriptions of the attributes, even though such individuals obviously exist in our world, and thus should exist in all but the most gonzo D&D settings.)

I've got my own variation on Elf fluff, but my elf player (well, my non-Drow elf player, since Drow are a bit different, though still very "elfy" in most ways) disapproved of my idea, and said his vision of what elves should be was based on a fantasy novel which I don't own, and have better uses for my money than to buy it, likewise my time than read it. So for now we're more or less sticking with D&D fluff (partly the PHB, partly Forgotten Realms, since the elf in question is a Sun Elf even though we're not playing in the Realms themselves). I would direct him to this thread in a second if not for the fact that he's got a lot on his plate at the moment.