1. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Kneenibble's Knack for Knightly Knickers: a Knell for Random Banter #184

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Robarts Library in Toronto is one of my favourite examples of Brutalist architecture done RIGHT.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

I ADORE that building.
    Looks like someone crashed a spaceship deep into the earth. I like it!

And for the record, even if I find brutalism to be a bit dominant in a given environment (I mean, you can't drop it into an over 220 years old botanical garden and claim that it fits in), I kind of like it. It gives of sort of a bunker-esque feeling, and I have a soft spot for bunkers.

Modern cubes of glass and steel... not so much. It was okay when they built our concert hall in that manner, because it was new to us, and didn't fit in all too badly where it was constructed, but when they took our lovely station house (almost 150 years old)...
    Spoiler
    Show

...and, after a number of assurances that they wouldn't make anything too inharmonous to the old style of the building, expanded its right wing with this...
    Spoiler
    Show

...I just gave up and declared the Town Building Office out of their minds. Not like that was something new, but still.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2012-10-25 at 04:39 AM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show