View Single Post

Thread: Young Justice (Spoilers)

1. - Top - End - #946
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Young Justice (Spoilers)

Could you give me some examples of the rebellious kids stuff, outside of Red Arrow (and please note that there is a good reason I am excluding Red Arrow. I'm not just trying to restrict your choices)?

Also, I heavily disagree with your idea that the Team is supposed to be better than the Justice League. A key plotline with Superboy in season 1 is that he only has half of Superman's powers, and Kid Flash is no where near as fast as Flash, though it isn't bought up often until Season 2. And with Miss Martian? A big problem with your analysis of her is that you are comparing her to the Justice League Manhunter, not the one on the show. Martian Manhunter has TK just like Miss Martian, and other abilities, like density shifting, that Miss Martian doesn't have until season 2. Miss Martian is a more powerful natural telepath, but they also make it very clear she doesn't have the training that Martian Manhunter has. The only person you could argue is more powerful than their mentor is Aqualad, since he has his sorcery, instead of just punching stuff. Part of the problem is, and this is one of my big criticisms of season 1, that they don't use the Justice League enough. Since the focus is on the Team, we only get to see the Justice League when they are publicly fighting the Injustice League's attack, or the Ice Fortresses. I really wished they at least gave a few episodes where one of the leads could work alongside their mentor.

Young Justice is missing scenes like the one in Flash and Substance. It comes from the fact that JLU is a show about whatever superheroes they wanted it to be for that episode, while Young Justice is a show about a covert ops group. THerefore, the Team is never used in situations like the one in Flash and Substance.

And I would argue that Young Justice has other moment to make up for it. Part of the reason I loved the penultimate episode of season 1 was for one of those moments

Spoiler
    Show
    Superboy, Miss Martian and Artemis each reveal the secrets they have been keeping, because they didn't know how others would react and how it would affect their relationship with the others. And the rest of the Team don't care, because they are their friends

THere are a couple of other scenes like that throughout the show, or similar stuff where the characters get to shine through. Season 2 has quite a lot of great character moments, actually, usually involving Aqualad in some way.

I agree it is a shame we don't get the sort of moments like that scene in Flash and Substance, in the scene with Batman and Ace in Epilogue, but sadly the show, with its emphasis on covert ops, kind of restricts it. Doesn't make it bad, just means it misses one of the things that makes JLU great
    Last edited by SecondRevan; 2012-11-04 at 03:12 PM.

Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Kassander - Blackguard//Evolutionist. Thanks to Strawberries for the image
    Kyus/Elle - Summoner. Thanks to kpenguin for the image
    Tactics - Warforged Warlord. Thanks to Cieka for the image