I liked the Game of Thrones RPG. It's a slow burn, but the pay-off is great. Also I thought it had one of the better real-time pause combat systems I've encountered. It's fairly low on character upgrading and inventory management as well. Which is good, because it's inventory kinda sucks. It's far from unbearable, but it's a bit of a drag until you get used to it's...eccentricities. Totally worth dealing with though, because the last chapter of that game is fairly brilliant.

Of Orcs and Men, by the same developer, seems to have even less in the way inventory management, owing to a very minimal quantity of loot, and the character development is fairly paired down. Every level you get one attribute point and can learn or upgrade one skill. Bada-boom. Story seems pretty nifty so far too, though I haven't finished it, and avoids all sorts of usual genre failures. After like six hours I don't think I've encountered even one prostitute, which may be a record for M-rated RPGs.

If you're willing to leave RPG totally behind, there's always Spec Ops: The Line. It's a straight up third person shooter mechanically, and not a particularly inspired one at that. It's not a bad cover shooter mind, and there's a couple of kinda cool mechanics in there, but that part of the game's nothing to write home about. The story however is, well, something else. I'm not kidding when I say I didn't think games would - or even could - do what Spec Ops does, let alone do it that well. Let's just leave it like this: it looks like a straight up dude-bro military shooter. This is entirely deliberate, and it really isn't.