View Single Post

Thread: Core only Bard

1. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Core only Bard

Quote Originally Posted by prufock View Post
    Melee bard in core can be difficult, at least until you get access to Alter Self at level 4. At that point, you'll be changing into a Troglodyte for the natural attacks and +6 natural armor.

For your first few levels you are probably better off being a flanking buddy with the rogue, or hitting enemies with Grease. Animate Rope and Hideous Laughter are also goodies. If you go this route, 17 charisma is a must for saves and bonus spells.

However if you want to be more melee than spellcasting, I'd recommend putting that 17 in strength, 14 in both dex and con, and the 12s in wis and charisma. You could always switch str and dex around if you want more AC and the Weapon Finesse route. Saves won't matter so much because you'll be sticking with buffs, for the most part, and maybe some healing. Expeditious Retreat, Cure Light Wounds, and maybe Unseen Servant or Silent Image are good choices for 1st level spells.

You will of course want Mithril armor as soon as you can afford it. Get a weapon that you can use 2-handed like a longspear or longsword.
    I definitely want to be more spellcasting. We have a Fighter, Monk, and Rouge/Cleric, so we have some melee power already.

Animate rope seems not too great? Hideous Laughter is definitely something I will take, since it seems very much Save or Die.

Is there a guide on core-only targets for Alter Self and the bonuses they give?

I'm not set on being a melee bard. In fact, I'd rather not melee. I'm just confused as to what feats to take if I want to be more support oriented.
    Last edited by Con_Brio1993; 2012-11-17 at 11:51 AM.