View Single Post

Thread: What is the point of redcloak's plan

1. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What is the point of redcloak's plan

Quote Originally Posted by Carry2 View Post
    I think the problem here may be that the author is trying to write a story that revolves around grey-and-fuzzy-morality in the context of an RPG system that presupposes the existence of some very-non-grey-and-fuzzy moral standards.

Here's a much better question: Given that Redcloak has already more-or-less accomplished his original goal of securing the goblinoid peoples a reasonably prosperous kingdom on an equal footing with the other humanoid species, why is he still interested in pursuing this extremely risky and over-elaborate master-plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    "...may be willing to...?" He's working with Xykon. Accepting the risk of personal annihilation is his daily routine.
    This is addressed in Start of Darkness. We've already gotten a glimpse into it in the main comic, but I'll mark this as spoilers:

Spoiler
    Show
    Even before Azure City, Redcloak already had a peaceful village all to his own, and was about ready to hang up the Cloak and die of old age. And then the biggest mistake of his life (Xykon) caught up to him.

It boils down to this: Redloak has sacrificed so much to further the Plan, that he refuses to admit that the Plan is flawed. If he were to accept that the Plan was flawed, then he would be admitting that he allowed thousands of goblins to die for nothing. Redcloak cannot stop following the Plan because it would make him a monster in his own eyes. As we've already seen when Redcloak made a fake phylactery, his mantra is "this will all be worth it someday".

And this makes the Dark One's plan even more suspect. Redcloak has proven, twice, that a dedicated Lawful goblin can build a prosperous goblin settlement. The Dark One hasn't revoked the Cloak.

It seems that the Dark One craves power, and is willing to risk everything, even his beloved goblinoid races, in order to get it. Redcloak trusts the Dark One because the only alternative is to come to grips with being a mass-murderer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Basically, that was their only shot to just gang up and kill him out of hand.
    Thanks for commenting. Take it easy on the hand.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2013-01-07 at 12:33 AM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw