Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
I think all Vampire Lore is either generally or very strictly against "Vampires being Nice". Either they get totally evil by the transformation or the get gradually evil and more and more de-humanized by the lifestyle that is forced upon them.
They're perfectly allowed to be Nice, though it's likely they can't be Good. After all, Nice != Good.

Anyway, Durkon has to die pretty soon because of his prophecy from the Orcale. I think we can assume that he can't return to the Dwarven Homelands unless he dies first. The Order seems to be pretty close to finding (and probably destroying) Girard Gate, so they will soon move to Kraagor&Serini Gate. The Gate seems to be located far north, and so are Dwarven Homelands. So I guess Durkon has to get over with his death preferably before they start for the last Gate.

Returning as a vampire would be pretty neat. Otherwise the Order would just have to carry his body along, which is rather anticlimactic.
Also, (if he survives the current fight) keeping the prophecy of the Oracle in mind, the Order could try to convince him to leave before they start for the Gate, in attempt to save his life. Which would be even more anticlimactic, and Durkon's sense of duty wouldn't allow it anyway.

As to the other prophecy, it could also be fulfilled not by Durkon himself. After all, when the Order rushes to the last Gate, all sorts of villains might follow: Xykon, Redcloak, MitD, Linear Guild, Tarquin and IFFC. Any of those would bring death and destruction to the dwarves and Durkon would be indirectly responsible.