1. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5) - Storm Trooper : Tanky Martial Class

Ok, let's look at your rewrite.

Your armor focus ability scales a little too high. I wouldn't make it better than a +6, honestly. Also, the scaling jumps a lot with lot's of gap in between, maybe increase it by 1 point but more often? (2nd, 5th, 9th, 12th, 16th, 19th)

Infallable resolve is fine, I suppose, but you get it a little early - at those levels your saves won't be so high that you'll actually benefit from it. On the topic of saves, you really should only be upping fort. Ref especially doesn't make much sense to have on this character.

Sword and Board fighting is a bit much. Give them agile shield fighter at that level, and maybe later give them a "snap kick" like ability with their shield if you want to keep it active. I don't see much justification for giving it penaltyless full TWF, with full iteratives - even the Ranger doesn't get that.

Let's go though your Special Abilities:

Spell resistance - make it 10 + class level, you should be rewarded for staying with the class, not leaving it. Otherwise fine.

Fortification - Should not stack, but 50% is probably fine at lv 9.

Frighting Taunt - This ability is basically goad, but based on your Intimidate. I would flesh out the description a bit more on how it works, and it probably shouldn't frighten them if they can't attack you. I'd say they get frustrated and take a -2 penalty to attacks and ac when they can't attack you.

Mettle - This ability is fine

Rapid Movement - You should only gain +10 speed per iteration, not +20

Battlefield Control - This ability is thicket of blades + mage slayer + anti tumble. It steps on a bit too many toes for my liking, since you can basically get this from the Knight or Crusader. I might try picking another mechanism for controlling the battlefield, one that would be unique to this class.

Armor Focus, Armor Specialization, Supreme Armor Focus, Supreme Armor Specialization - All 4 of these abilities are too much of the same thing. Pick one ability which enhances armor by level, but having all of these is redundant.

It seems you're still lacking the primary focus for this person. If you're looking for suggestings of abilities, here's a couple:

Heavy Armor Blitz - You use the weight of your armor when forcing your enemies around the battlefield. When making a bull rush/overrun attempt, you may add the bonus from your armor focus ability as a competence bonus to your opposed strength check.

Roaring Slam - When surrounded you lash out in all directions and fling your enemies away. As a full round action, you may make a bull rush attempt against all adjacent enemies. You make one roll, and each enemy must make a roll to oppose it to see if they get knocked back, but they get a +1 bonus to their opposed strength check for every addtional enemy affected after the first. You cannot choose to follow your enemies and may only push them back 5 feet away from you.

Heavy Shield Slam - You take advantage of openings by countering your opponents with your large shield. When you successfully attack with a shield bash as an attack of opportunity, you may make a trip attempt as a free action; this attempt does not provoke attacks of opportunity, and your opponent does not get a free trip attempt against you if it fails. You may not follow this trip attempt with an additional attack (such as with improved trip).
    Last edited by Xulin; 2013-03-05 at 12:04 AM.
    Here are DA RULEZ!
    1) One of you is a wolf. The rest of you are sheep.
    2) If the wolf is the last one alive, he wins!
    3) If the wolf dies, the sheep win!
    4) If a sheep kills another sheep, they will be PUNISHED.