View Single Post

Thread: OOTS in the Media

1. - Top - End - #196
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS in the Media

I remember when this came up last year I wasn't sure whether this quote should be applicable to the ComicMix tournament. (It's not really a top webcomics list... it's just a yearly contest thing.) On the other hand, when I remember how that ComicMix tournament ultimately went down, I recall having come to the conclusion that staying away had been the better advice in any case. The contest should have been a fun way to vote for your favorites and get exposed to some new comics. People took it extremely seriously, bashed the competition relentlessly, there were allegations of cheating, and one confrontation in particular got absolutely hideous and exploded way beyond the boundaries of the original boards. I wound up having a lowered opinion of several comics based on some of the shenanigans that went down during that ridiculous contest, some I hadn't read and some I had. It looks like they have more stringent policies in place this time around, but still, it hardly seems worth it.

On their board I can read that the author of last year's winner, Gunnerkrigg Court, specifically asked not to be in the contest this year because of last year's terribleness. I wonder if Thunt from Goblins did the same, I don't think it's on the list.
    Last edited by B. Dandelion; 2013-03-17 at 09:46 PM.