Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
Actually, Sunken Valley has a good point. So far Nale's plots have failed due to unforeseeable coincidences; Roy's Dad's Ghost's cryptic prophecy, Julian Scoundrel happening to run into Elan at a bar, the Order wandering into Z's Scrying Sensor in what the LG thought was a random point in a continental desert. His actual schemes are pretty good too; his initial plot in the Dungeon of Dorukan was well thought out and well executed, his revenge plot in Cliffport showed a lot of insight, and his method of finding Gerard's Gate under his father's nose was clever and actually worked.

As a minor antagonist he can't actually succeed, and he is a bit doofy, but Nale is far from an incompetent.

Anyway, back to the actual topic...

First, huge props to Rich for OotS being as cool as it is. This comic has helped make my gaming more sophisticated in a lot of ways, as I'm sure it has for many other readers, because it approaches the conventions of RPGs and Fantasy narratives in a thoughtful way which highlights the best and worst aspects of them. The fact that it's also consistently funny and avoids preachiness adds to that IMO.

If I had to identify an issue, it would be the fact that the majority of characters are male. OotS is better than most media I've seen, both in terms of the ratio of important characters and in that Rich remembers to use female "extras" and minor characters where their sex isn't directly relevant. But as the amount of Blue on the first page indicates, over-representation of men is a thing.

In terms of sexuality, I'm not really qualified to make a call. Obviously LGBT+ people want characters they can relate to, but it also strains credibility if groups who make up 5% or 1% of the population end up with multiple main characters. Where is that line drawn? I have no idea.
The first plot worked because the order had no idea who he was whereas he had been specifically hired to kill them. Cliffport plan got off the ground do to luck seeing as they just randomly ran into Roy's sister.