Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
But Celia isn't an airhead? She's naive with regards to harsh realities of lower class life (and, y'know, mortals) but she's not stupid. She's an excellent lawyer, in fact, and her antagonism (using your definition of it) was that her rather developed moral code didn't condone murder.

In the meta, this-is-a-representation-of-a-game, reading of OotS, she's the character who doesn't want to kill the Kobolds when the rest of the party just wants to get on with the adventure. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I'd say a lot of people have had annoying experiences with that kind of character, and that's why she gets that bad reaction. They consider her actions to be stupid, but her to be smart, so her 'stupid' actions annoy them, on top of the D&D action.

I actually really, really like Celia, though, and find Miko...interesting, and pitiable.

Also Miko was definitely as much of an antagonist as at least Nale - I'd say moreso. I think you're being unfair here.
I was using Haley's words, not mine (regarding the "airhead" thing). I find Celia to be one of my favourite characters, and I profoundly respect her pacifism. I think what she did with the Thieves' Guild was absolutely magnificent. But I don't voice that sort of opinion around here because I don't want to get lynched.

Miko wasn't someone I personally liked or admired, but from a narrative perspective, her entire shtick of being a big middle finger to Lawful Stupid paladins everywhere was unbelievably awesome.

Also, just because you can appreciate Miko as an antagonist doesn't mean that most other forumers can. I think that 50% to 70% of the ire against her is the aforementioned middle finger to Lawful Stupid paladins, but some degree of the hatred against her was that she was not seen as a Nale, Xykon or Tarquin equivalent, who have greatly inconvenienced the Order before (and in far worse way than Miko) and yet she had the audacity to oppose them.