Quote Originally Posted by OzymandiasX View Post
A character with a 6 Int is an idiot, plain and simple. He should never figure out puzzles, be able to make successful tactical plans, or have clever insights. In a conversation with people of average intelligence they should feel sorry for him.

If you are roleplaying anything smarter than this, then I'd suggest that you work on your roleplaying. I don't mean that in a derogatory, way, just you should own it and have playing it accurately. I wouldn't blame a DM for trying to prevent you from min-maxxing scores and then ignoring the bad scores.

If your character has an okay charisma (a likable idiot), play him as a 'yes man' where he says things to the party members like "Wow, Bob! That is a great plan, I never would have thought of that!" "You guys sure are smart!"

If your character has a low charisma (an annoying idiot), have him object during party discussions, give overly-obvious suggestions that obviously won't work, or continually try to do stupid things. (This can make a party hate you, though, so be careful)

All that said, if your DM is the type who randomly mutates your characters and toss out Decks of Many Things for the heck of it... then perhaps you want a very different kind of game than I'd enjoy...
Forrest Gump was a good example of a well-played low-intelligence situation without being completely sidelined or "idio-fied."

A low INT with a decent WIS can be someone who just isn't educated, but still very smart and capable of strategizing, conversing, or puzzle-solving. Another way to play low INT without being a useless blubbering jack-in-the-box is to make the right decisions (OOC) for the wrong reasons (IC).
Some bad examples:
Spoiler
Show
I move into flanking position.

No you're too stupid to know that flanking is advantageous.

I'm not doing it because it's advantageous, I'm doing it because I'm pretty sure this [goblin] is a Medusa and I don't wanna turn to stone!

Spoiler
Show
I move under that tree for cover from the flying manticore!

No you don't, you're too stupid to use tactical cover for miss chance!

I'm not doing it for miss chance, I'm doing it because once I threw a rock up in the air and it fell and hit me...I don't want that thing to fall on me!