1. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Got a Real World Weapons or Armour Question? Mk XII

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Because getting hold of a traditionallly crafted Mongolian recurve bow is somewhat tricky and expensive, so we like to draw comparisons with what we have available.
    If it's Mongolian recurve, it's modern 'budget' imitation with synthetic layers, or compound crossbow doesn't really make that much difference TBH.

After all, it doesn't come into any contact with target (unless something goes slapstick-grade wrong), - so physical properties of actually interacting arrows and target are much more important.

As far as paper cartridges go, it depends on what means by 'common', I guess.

As far as I know, by the end of 16th century, there's already plenty of mentions about them, but they didn't become exactly very common for a long time still.

I would guess that a lot of times, they were quite a lot of trouble for not that much gain, since all the things to do when reloading a musket/arquebus were anyway time consuming and tiring, with or without paper cartridge.
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2013-05-07 at 10:28 AM.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.