Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
"Where do we go to get the brand...and what does need doing around here, anyway? I want to be able to use whatever skills I have..." Though he doesn't forget the reason they're here, a chance to help has been put in front of him. "I have felt the call of my God, lately, to protect the weak with the graces he's giving me. I don't want to let him down."
When the orchestra finishes, Arden turns to Kurt and claps him on the shoulder warmly. "A wise impulse, for which you deserve credit. All our gods have their plans and designs for us, but not all choose to listen."

"Those who join the Church can follow two paths. Some, like myself, take on a full position in the guild's ranks- our preachers, soldiers, healers, and so on. But not all wish to devote their lives to the guild in that way, so they live as Church citizens, generally free to serve their deity as they see fit- they need not even attend services unless they desire to do so."

"But those who serve as citizens can still take on jobs and missions for the Church. There are always people to be helped, often in the country or outer-lands where our clergy are few and our influence is weak. Any time you are interested in such work, just find a Guild office. We need all kinds of workers, but healers and warriors most of all."

When Miriam agrees to join, he similarly smiles at her. "Come with me." He leads them back down the stairs. As he climbs, he turns to Miriam with a sympathetic expression. "Please don't be alarmed- the marking is painless and simple, but the process around it is a bit dramatic. It is simply for the sake of security- as I mentioned, the possibility of forging guildmarks is too dangerous to contemplate."

He calls for a pair of paladins, who lead Kurt and Miriam down into the catacombs below the church. As they descend, the beauty of the upper levels transforms into a more utilitarian atmosphere, one built around security and secrecy. The guards open a gate, and they find themselves in a subdued basement, with a few paladins stationed around under flickering lamps.

At the center of the chamber is a hooded figure; he might be human but it is impossible to tell for sure. He beckons the two newcomers over, and draws out a device that is chained to the floor.