Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
Are there any other forums you recommend? I find your posts very educational (except where the condittore are concerned, in which case I dive for cover until it blows over), so I'm interested in what you find useful.
Well, thanks !

This is probably the best rpg gamer forum I know of.

For other games, all empires which I think is associated with age of empires seems to often have good content.

Myarmoury is an excellent forum for anything to do with weapons and a lot of history stuff. One of my go-to places. I learned more about weapons there than anywhere else.

I'm a HEMA guy so I like HEMA forums, there are so many now I can't keep up with them all any more but the most useful I know of are the Schola Gladiatoria forum in the UK (which is a good place to find other Europeans), the HEMA Alliance forum in the US, which is a meeting house of dozens of US and international HEMA clubs Meyer Freifechter also based in the US, definitely the world experts on all things Joachim Meyer, HEMAC forum in Continental Europe but that is a private forum.

If English isn't your first language there are clubs in almost every part of the world now, I know there are quite a few good Spanish language, German, Swedish, Greek, Portuguese and even Turkish HEMA blogs. You can find these groups and their blogs using the HEMA Alliance club finder which is on their forum. There are also a lot of good non-English research sites out there as well. For example this web journal Gladius is the best single source I know of for all things Celtic, there are some English articles but it's mostly in Spanish.

http://gladius.revistas.csic.es/index.php/gladius

There are also a ton of very good HEMA blogs now, the best one I know of is the HROARR blog out of Sweden which is excellent, and gets contributions from all over. The guy who runs it (Roger Norling) is an enviable combination of extremely well informed with extremely nice and level headed. This is probably my favorite HEMA website right now, I hope to get an article published there sooner or later.

There is a guy who calls himself Hans Talhoffer who often has some good stuff. He's German or Austrian I think and his English isn't superb but he's extremely active and comes up with some amazing primary source, archival stuff almost every day.

Luis Preto from Portugal, who is an expert at Jogo Do Pau, has a blog which often has interesting stuff both related to historical combat and modern self defense.

The Finnnish Fencer Ilkka Hartikainen has a great blog on Marozzo, as well as I-33, military saber fencing and many other matters. A very active, high-quality blog.

James Marwood out of the UK, an expert on the Victorian era English / Japanese martial art Bartitsu among other things, has an interesting blog which also combines modern combatives with historical material.

I'm not a re-enactor but I find that some re-enactor forums are good.
roman army talk is good for anything to do with the Romans, Gauls, Parthians and so forth. Hurstwtic is a great site for the Viking stuff, anything to do with Norse religion northvegr seems to be good.

Once I find the name of an interesting primary source on one of the above blogs, I find a lot of old books for free download on project gutenberg. That is an especially good place to find anything published in the 19th or early 20th century.

I should stipulate, that I don't know every one of these sites intimately and can only vouch for some of them, they are just places where I have found some good research information. If you don't like any of these sites, it is fusiliers fault.

Of course, for anything to do with real research you really need JSTOR access. One of the greatest myths sold to mankind today is that you can find everything on a google search. The truth is you can find almost nothing real on a google search (unless you are damn good at using google) except for partial fragments of books on google books. All the real research is on JSTOR or in even more obscure journals that aren't digitized (which you can find in local university libraries and archives).

I don't know y'all, did I miss anything else?

G