Like I said, I'm not going to debate the specifics of his work because I haven't read it. But when I see people describe it like this:

Quote Originally Posted by SowZ View Post
If anything, it strikes me that he has this message of the universe not caring one way or another and all the evil and tragedy that happens just happens, justice may or may not occur, and we should make the best of it and latch onto the few moments of happiness we get because that's all there is and most people are selfish, racist d-bags who would screw you over if they benefited from it so the more you expect out of the world the more you are going to be disappointed in it. If you want to be a truly good person, good on you, you can make the world a slightly better place but you are likely going to have a pretty painful life for it.
it occurs to me that I have limited number of hours in my day and I don't need to read thousands of pages to tell me something most of us grasped, internalized, and subsequently rejected when we were teenagers.

It seems to me that writing a huge epic whose message is, "Nothing really matters," is a good way to teach people that nothing really matters, which is pretty much the exact opposite of anything I would ever want to do (or read).