Quote Originally Posted by Legoshrimp View Post
That is called cheese, and pros know they need to be ready for it or at least know about what their build can handle, and then weigh the odds of the enemy doing something their build will lose to. Also with good micro a lot of cheeses can be dealt with with normal builds.
Cheeses such as but not limited to 6 pools also show up in MLG and BWC matches. Frequently. It isn't just a 'newbie' tactic. At the pro level, if they disregard it they usually end up losing the match or being put signifigantly behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
Whenever I watch pro-level games, a thought comes to mind: the pros base so much of their strategy on the metagame that it would be really interesting to see them lose due to doing that. It'd be like if they play a slightly-lower level player, and go, "Well, six-pool never works, so nobody would try to six-pool, so I don't need to prepare to fight off a six-pool" and then get six-pooled to death.

I know it'd never happen, but it'd still be kinda fun to see once or twice.
Which pro-level games are you watching? Every time I go watch MLG I see a minimum of 2 games which start with a 6 pool (or an 8 pool, but they are virtually the same thing). Much more likely if it's ZvZ. One of the NASL matchups I saw the guy completely sweep his opponent with back to back 6 pools.

Mind you, the map really determines how viable such a tactic is. Usually the announcers even go "Oh man, it's this map, I wonder if we'll see a 6 pool." Typically they are genuinely surprised when they don't see one.