1. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Having stats for every stage of growth encourages killing of dragon children?

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Debates about draconic child-raising habits miss the point: the basic point that the ABD is talking about (and Rich is criticizing) is that, since dragons of all ages - unlike humans or elves or even something like orcs - have D&D stats, and stats matter primarily for combat, there is an implication that young dragons are acceptable targets for PCs.
    Which is true only if we assume a precise equivalence between the species. If a juvenile dragon is a ravening predator on sapient species, and an adult dragon is a ravening predator on sapient species, then the main difference is in size and power. In which case, yes, they are acceptable targets for PCs.

If a juvenile dragon is playing with blocks and making paper butterflies and going "goo goo," then I'll accept it as an innocuous noncombatant.

If it's a fire-breathing savage which has just dominated its first group of lizardfolk followers, devours the local terrified frogfolk and the occasional fisherman, and is proud and lethal as Lucifer, then I don't care if it's technically juvenile, it's still a legitimate combatant.

D&D clearly assumes the latter. It's fine if Mr. Burlew doesn't in his world, but to portray RAW D&D as encouraging PCs to kill "dragon children" in the sense of "cute harmwess wittle dwagons who wouldn't hurt a fwy" is completely off the mark, IMO.

Again, I'm not arguing against Mr. Burlew's ideas. I'm simply pointing out that the age category concept of dragons in D&D doesn't change their basic ferocity and peril. And that a juvenile elf is a good deal more harmless and helpless than a juvenile dragon, by RAW.
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2013-10-04 at 03:24 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark