1. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5th Edition XIV: WotC's Orc-Elf Love Money-Grubbing D&D

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Why aren't orcs supernatural? Marauding pigmen that spring from badlands? Goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears, gnolls... These are fairy creatures, low grade elemental evil. A bugabear is literally a boogie monster, after all.

I understand the premise of biological (ie natural in the evolutionary sense) monsters not being evil, but I reject the premise that a monster who is a hairy, sharp toothed shadow under a four year old's bed who is only there when the lights go off is a biological monster.
    It's an interesting point of view, but the reason orcs aren't supernatural is because not once in D&D history have they been presented as anything even close to supernatural.

Do they live on the Material Plane? Yes.
    Do they breed true among themselves, producing live offspring? Yes.
    Do they need to eat, sleep, and breathe in order to survive? Yes.
    Do they bleed and have internal organs? Yes.

So, are they biological?
    Is there any evidence to suggest otherwise? No.
    Is there a lot of evidence to suggest that they are? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Or, the DM could be intelligent and not have monsters be humans in funny suits. Why are orcs sitting around a campfire with beers, talking about their bros? This is a terrible example, even as a sarcastic set up.
    I'm sorry, but this... I don't even. Why can't Orcs sit around a campfire enjoying the company of their peers like any other intelligent species?
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2013-10-09 at 12:28 PM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!