1. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Default Re: D&D 5th Edition XV: Desperately Playing it Safe

The only thing vaguely "dungeoncrawl" about the module is that it's underground. The map given is so generic/imprecise that it's not really good for anything other than showing what's connected to what and where places are in relation to each other. The only place in my playthrough that felt "Dungeoncrawly" were the former palace-thing and Final push against the orcs.

My only complaint is the quest that involves arming the gnomes - It's far too easy to be derailed from a "Chain of Deals" to "Blowing up a city"... with insufficient rules/maps/stuff to handle anything other than the safe Chain-of-deals approach (I think they expect the Beholder to take care of any uppity adventurers)

...are they really trying to speed up combat by making the mundane character options worse? The 'problem' is with the spellcasters, not the guys who can occasionally give themselves an extra simple action or are keen on move-attack-move-attack-move.

AND OH WHAT THE HELL WHY IS HE TRYING TO NERF THE IMPORTANCE OF FEATS? STAHP MIKEY STAHP!
    ... I really don't like his ranking system. The order should be Classes-Feats-Spells-Backgrounds-Race. Classes first is a good idea - but Feats, being the second-rarest resource (Without multiclassing. Multiclassing, it's the rarest), should have priorty over spells, which are common, and almost everything should have a priority over Race (Despite being rarest), which a lot of players pick for cosmetic/fluff purposes, not hard crunch.

EDIT: oh, not as bad as it looked, and I honestly agree with the principal - A round is only 6 seconds, and you need 2 of those to think and 4 to act on those thoughts. Move-attack-move-attack-move fits into that, as do most martial options. The problem is applying it to spellcasters.
    Last edited by Scow2; 2013-12-22 at 04:10 PM.