View Single Post

Thread: A More Compartmentalized Caster (PEACH)

1. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: A More Compartmentalized Caster (PEACH)

At this point, I feel that I should be a bit more outright about what I wanted to do with this class, as the idea doesn't seem to be obvious to most people.

The point of the mystic is to make a spellcaster that never, ever casts spells in combat or other tight encounters.

It's not about making the spellcasting more strategic (which is a secondary goal at best). It's about making the caster literally incapable of taking the job of the party frontliner or skillmonkey. As the tin says, a caster that fits into the neat compartment of "caster"

While you may see familiar spells on the spell list, they were not included for the functions that most people currently use them.

Fireball and Earthquake are on the list to cause mass destruction, Freezing sphere is there to freeze over water, Disintegrate is there for excavation purposes, and Save-or-Dies are put there to act as an alternative to simply killing foes (requiring your party to knock out or tie up your target while you turn them to stone/steal their soul/charm them/etc).

Readied incantations were taken down and fireball was removed from the spell list, two alterations that should help the intention of this class become more apparent.

Outside of combat, the mystic can take care of more essential magical tasks that skillmonkeys are incapable of, such as talking to animals, removing harmful spells, or teleporting. Inside battle, they are third-string blasters that can help through reserve feats without hogging the spotlight.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2013-12-23 at 02:43 PM.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature