Quote Originally Posted by Inuzuka View Post
Well to be fair, that spell was first shown all the way back in chapter 76, and it didn't really seem overpowered then... but it wasn't used on as many people then actually just went and reread that chapter, looks like it hit about 30 people but I'd guess most of them weren't mages.
Yeah, when it was used the first time it seemed to not work particularly well against strong-willed people - otherwise, they would have just turned Erza into a card in the first place and called it a day. One of the trapped people was able to cut Lucy's ropes from inside his card, for example, and he was just a normal guy (IIRC).

My assumption is that, depending on the strength of your will, you can resist or eventually escape from the card on your own. Elfman's will was, by the point that Cana zapped him, basically nothing, so he got zonked out and stayed in the card, and everyone else trusted Cana and so stayed in the cards willingly.

And also I think that was a pretty cool moment for Cana so I don't even care how it worked. ;)