Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
Honestly, I'm really just wondering why so many of the D&D death gods seem to love undeath so much. I can't think of anyone from real world mythology who would and it doesn't even make too much sense from an ingame perspective. Gods get the souls of their worshippers when said worshippers die. They don't get them when they become undead. Promoting undeath seems a great way of draining your own power.
Aside from other responses, I think that you assume that necromancers are raising the dead of souls who worshiped undead worshiping deities in their lifetime.

That's probably not the case - when the necromancer stops by a village graveyard, he's raising the late townsfolk. They tend to worship Pelor/Heironious/whatever goody-two-shoes god that served said townfolk the best in their profession, and not Wee Jas/Vecna/other fond-of-undeath deities.

Now, by raising the townsfolk, you're sapping the goody-two-shoes gods of their worshipers, and draining power from them. You're not touching any of your own worshipers, thereby sapping your own god's power.