Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
Yeah, that sort of 'laptop' goes in what's called the 'desktop replacement' category; they are fully designed and intended to be used at a desk, tethered to a wall, possibly with a separate mouse and/or keyboard in use, and generally to provide the same sort of functionality most people would use a full size system for (even up to gaming, although you'll want to also be using a good quality external cooling accessory for that if you don't want to fry your laptop or make it heat-throttle itself back down into lower performance.) Those are only 'portable' computers in as much as it's relatively easy to pack it up and take it to a different desk - you're not going to be using it on the move or unplugged for very long.
Yeah, that sounds about what my laptop is. I guess "laptop" in this sense is a bit of a misnomer. I even have a second monitor hooked up to it along with my mouse and headphones, and it handles any game I throw at it just fine. Of course, I don't really play any FPS games, so maybe I'm not working the graphics card as much as I could, but it does handle Total War: Rome 2 without breaking a sweat, so there's that.

Also, it does get fairly hot. I haven't had any problems with overheating like I did my old computer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's throttling itself back to compensate. I've tried a few external cooling fans, but none of them seemed to have any real effect. Do you know of one that works well? Preferably something quiet, if possible.