[The Ebon Citadel]
Spoiler
Show
Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
[Ebon Citadel]

Cyrus takes another sip of tea, taking a moment to stare at the drawing alongside its subject. He supposes he deserved that response, given the pun he'd made only a few seconds before.

"Well, I might have an answer to some of your questions. If you're having trouble making things work, it might not be you. It might just be that you don't have enough mana to draw upon. Now that I think about it, you looked fairly drained after summoning that beetle of yours. Are you drawing on your own life force as a source of green mana? Because that's not actually very good for you. In fact, it's the kind of thing that makes people die early deaths with chronic use, planeswalker lifespan boost notwithstanding."

A chuckle. How inappropriate for the situation.

"Like I said, consider relaxing in forests a bit more often. Get a feel for the world around you. I'm told the hunting grounds are flowing with Green, though they're a bit on the dangerous side. As for purpose, that's up to you. Magic is power, just like everything else. Green magic has two sides, split between community and ferocity. Whether you choose to bind yourself into preserving the nature of the world or to express yourself as civilization won't allow or simply to deny nature and do what you wish, it is ultimately your decision."

Was...was that actual, helpful advice from Cyrus? What's the world coming to?

"My life force?" The beetle dissolves rather abruptly, edges crumbling away into bright green motes that flood the air. They gutter out quickly in the hostile atmosphere, eaten up, blackness consuming them before they simply vanish. Not... Not the most reassuring sight, for someone who's just been told they've been burning up their own candle.

There were mages on his home plane who'd tried that. Never turned out well.

"And.. longevity, you said? That's part of it?" Always a silver lining. Or a straw to clutch at, trying not to think of all the ways that little beetle could've cost him. "Does unexpected mystical talent bring any other small things with it? Do I fly now? An allergy to kryptonite I should know about? I do hate to make myself a pest, but I'm afraid I never thought to prepare for waking up a magician. As it so happens, I was reassured that would never be a problem."

Inopportune moments of humor abound, a small smile forcing it's way in at the edges of Sebastian's grim expression. The photographer takes another doughnut, and a saucer, sans cup, to hold under it as he leans back and nibbles away. "It was, at one point, my dashed ambition to be a mage of some small station."

[The Silver Keep]
Spoiler
Show
Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
That would be, well, reasonable of them. They're probably living in the time before this place was part of the Nexus. The traveler bets that dragons are about as strange as it gets here. Ashna nods, and takes her hands away the trigger of the gun, lowering it, re-engaging the safety, and strapping it away.
"Very well." She raises a hand, waiting for him to open the way in.
"When I will have come to this keep, it is the stronghold of a band of criminals. I had hoped to pass through it in a time when it was in better hands."

There's a visible relief in the guards as she tucks the weapon away, grips slackening around the trigger and a few lowering their crossbows entirely. But 'a few' still leaves too many arrows aimed her way.

"Ah ah." The soldier gives a nod of his head towards the lightning gun, holding out a hand. Just throwing the safety isn't going to fly here. In fact, being a medieval knight and all, the guard doesn't actually have a damn clue what she just did.
"We're no bandits, and you're a guest yet. You'll see every hospitality due. But you'll be an unarmed guest."