1. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: A fundamental mechanical problem I have with d20/D&D/PF

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleKnight View Post
    Translation: Never criticize anything ever, and go away you silly king-type!
    You need to get your translator checked, Mister, because what I ACTUALLY said was "There are tons of awesome games that aren't D&D, so if you don't like the d20, F- that game, go play something better!" Only I was trying not to talk down to people who really enjoy d20.

But seriously, never say "Don't complain, go play something else" about any system. Every system that warrants criticism ought to be criticized, else people (specifically game designers) won't think there's anything wrong with it.
    Because, you know, I totally haven't already analyzed the crap out of this problem or something, in the same post you are whining about. Nor has anyone else, ever, EVER examined this problem. WTF, sir?

I think "If you don't like it, play something else." is EXCELLENT ADVICE in the RPG community, because SO MANY PEOPLE are all "I am playing D&D, and X, Y and Z are really bothering me, how do I fix this? It's ruining my game!" when the answer is "You don't have to, tons of excellent game designers have already fixed it, and you just need to pick a game that's better designed than the ol' warhorse."

Or, to put it another way, the RPG community needs fewer people playing D&D because it's "what they know" and more people making informed decisions about what games they are playing. So if you have a good reason to not play D&D, you should NOT PLAY IT. To do otherwise is like saying "I really like soccer, but I wish I could use my hands and throw the ball into a basket" and then insisting on continuing to play soccer.
    Last edited by Airk; 2014-05-15 at 11:08 PM.