View Single Post

Thread: Ponythread Learns to Draw II

1. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw II

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    And once again poor Madcrafter is left to be the only one staffing the thread. *sigh* There used to be so many people here...

Unfortunately, I don't draw all too often either. But right now I have a neat image in mind, and I'm trying to transfer it to the canvas.

Spoiler: Very sketchy
    Show

It's Pony Rangers again, with some inspiration from TTGL and maybe Gundams. Anyone have any scene setup advice? Somehow it doesn't look nearly as action-y and dynamic as it's theoretically supposed to be. Or perhaps it's actiony enough, but I don't get the sense of directed movement from it - what can I do to give it more.... momentum? Don't know how to describe it. So that the motion properly looks like it transitions from the exploded mech's movement and into Ranger!RD's flying dropkick. (Or maybe it's all because it's all so sketchy, hell if I know. >_>)

I also don't know what to do with the space in the bottom right - the angry anime-ish RD face is more of a placeholder.

It's times like these that I actually somewhat wish that I had attended some kind of actual art school. :P
    Yeah, very empty. Not much going on.

I do think I see what you mean. Keeping in mind that I have no idea what I'm talking about here, I think you might have too much focus on the explosion itself. Those two lines going up the sides both point towards it exclusively, and the eyes get drawn up right past RD. There is a lot of separation between her and the explosion too; it appears there is something connecting them, but it looks more like a levitation beam from an alien spacecraft at this point.

I think you could maybe angle the image a bit more, just for some extra dynamism, and move RD more in front of the explosion, maybe add some features to it to make it very clear that she is coming out from it (that little extra burst you see in movies and stuff).

Finally the the pony herself is maybe lacking a bit of focus in pose, with limbs going every which way. Just some things to think about, take or leave as you see fit.

----

Day 309:

Not very anatomically sound.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 310:

Another pony head.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Days 311-2:

Pony cardinal. Kind of a style smush.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Days 313-5, 317-9:

This one was a victim of its own inspirational potential. Kept wanting to finish it and do a nice job, but kept only getting in short increments that pushed it into the next day. Eventually I just had to be done with it even though it was nowhere near where I wanted. Also suffered from a bit of a style change midway.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 316:

This one was going to be a break from the last, but I forgot about it.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 320:

Just a face.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Days 321-2:

Another unfinished one, this one purposefully so.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-06-27 at 11:16 PM.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.