Quote Originally Posted by GilesTheCleric View Post
What, you mean your NPCs don't ever talk? I'm curious to know how you run your interactions with them.
No no no. -_-

They TALK. They don't need a "voice". Which is to say, for the vast majority of NPCs, it's FINE if they just sound like you talking. No one really cares that the innkeeper doesn't have a funny accent if he's a bit character that they're never going to talk to again. Save the 'voice work' for characters who matter.

Of course, I say this, and then realize that there probably isn't a single NPC in the game I ran last night who DIDN'T involve me changing my voice in some way, but this is always just something that comes naturally to me - I don't even think about how I do it. I just sortof think "Okay, I need a voice for King Bard." and something firm and steady comes out. Even the random guard and the barge captain had distinct sounds. But you don't have to do this. It's PERFECTLY okay for you to just talk like yourself for most NPCs.

I DO try to avoid having multiple NPCs talking to one another however. That's a lot of work.