Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
I believe the easiest game for new people to get into would be one of the more basic rule sets. Labyrinth Lord is free online and is the same as basic D&D from the early 1980's. If you are determined to pay money for something, I'd get the new Starter Set for 5th edition, and download the free Basic Rules that tell you how to make simple characters. It appears to do a good job of explaining the concept of the role playing game in general and has rules that I think will be good to help new people really get it. More options for this game will be released in coming months and years.

I think Pathfinder/3e is a lot to deal with for someone brand new to the concept of role playing games. Also, you will need at least three core books to really play it. 4th edition is a lot, too. It also requires 3 books, and it absolutely requires that you have a battle grid and miniatures or tokens to play, though its system may be easier to grok for people familiar with MMORPGs.

Really, no game is beyond the ability of beginners. You just need to get the necessary books (and accessories like dice, grid maps and miniatures) and read them so you can teach your group how to play. People (kids) over the years have started with any and all editions. The basic sets just take less reading, require less investment, and have fewer options to deal with at the start.
I'd agree with this. Basic/Labyrinth Lord or 5e would be my recommendations within the D&D "brand", though I'll still pimp Dungeon World as a great first game (that hits a lot of the same points as the D&D versions mentioned).