Planescape Torment really is totally fine graphically. Detailed models and backgrounds, and my god those animations are brilliant, especially for 2000 (or was it even '99?).

Setra: I've had the same problem after recently acquiring the complete BG saga (2 CDs, 2 DVDs. I now have BG2+ToB twice, but BG1 alone was worth the 15 €. Plus I'll sell BG2 to my brother's girlfriend once she has finished all her exams.). To install it and have it actually work properly, open the CD/DVD, right click on "setup.exe", go to "Properties" and switch to Windows 95 or 98 compatibility mode. Then, right click on setup.exe, execute as system administrator. Best do a complete install (see below). Do the same with TotSC. Ta da, it should work now

I'm currently playing BGTutu, it's very easy to install using EasyTutu.exe. All you need are complete installs of BG1 and BG2, best including TotSC and ToB (but not required I believe). A nice side effect was that it switched the text language to English, which means I do not have to suffer through the horrid German translation anymore (though sadly still the synchronization, urgh ).

Oh yeah, and if you do have Tutu, by all means go for the NPC mod, it is godly