Quote Originally Posted by IZ42 View Post
Oh, I suppose I didn't explain my thoughts well enough. I didn't mean optimizing by doing basic things to make an actually usable character, I mean optimizing to the point of Spirit Lion Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian Totemist etc. Basically building am extremely optimized character beyond basic choices made sub-consciously.
Unless you allow all of your character decisions to be made by your dream self, you're probably making your choices consciously. Optimization is, as was mentioned, a sliding scale, and balance is relative. Your example character could plausibly be too much in some games, when you're hanging out with basic monks and fighters (who are themselves almost certainly optimized in some fashion through conscious decision making, even if it's something as low power as weapon focus), but in other games it could easily be too little, if you're trying to contend with wizards and druids. Point is, you're optimizing because literally everyone optimizes unless they make choices randomly, and if there are issues, then you're either too far towards the optimal end of the spectrum, or your DM has a poor understanding of game balance.