Quote Originally Posted by DeathQuaker View Post
It's funny because FF9 I got of my own will and got drawn very much into the story and loved it. I got FF7 on recommendation of others--it does seem to be the most popular FF--and got bored silly halfway through the first disk. Most of the characters (with I think the possible exception of Tifa) seemed horribly cliched, and I especially had no interest in the hero. Someday I might try to finish it--I'm sure there's a reason why it's so popular--but I got very frustrated early on and felt little motivation to try to push through to get to "the good part."
Well, there's a reason VII has so many cliché characters, since it invented a couple. Cloud was the original angsty, brooding swordsman of console RPGs, to my knowledge. Unless you count Cyan, but he's a lot better explained, and broods less. Aeris...not so much a trendsetter.

And I don't know why people disliked the Midgar parts. I love eco-terrorism and intrigue.

Anyway, Final Fantasy VI remains my favorite of the series, particularly for storytelling and characters. I'm going to give a shout out to V for gameplay, but it kinda...lacked in the plot department. I recently replayed FFVIII, and got over much of my previous dislike of it. Mostly since I payed attention after Disc 1 this time, and realized the story wasn't quite as disjointed as I remembered. Seifer still needed a bigger part, though.