I'm older then the target question, but I DM for lots of younger gamers.

There was a time where there were few young gamers. And it was all because of video games. All the ''good'' graphic (not) RPG's came out, and everyone played them like zombies. Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Halo, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, World of Warcraft, and so on. The younger folks just loved them games like crazy....for a while. It wore off eventually though, as a game is only as good as it's programing. A video game is good for what it is ''easy, brain truing off entertainment'', but you can only ''do'' so much in any video game. You can only do what the game is programed to do. For many, the limited video games were enough.....but a lot of people wanted more, and that lead to them coming back to book RPG's.

A typical conversation might go like this:

Video Game Teen: ''Wow guys I was up all night playing Zap! I got to the secret zombie room! And got to level 1001! "
Others: "Um, ok"

Gamer Teen: "My character Tobin the Brave fought an evil lich king on the side of a volcano!''
Others: "What?"
Gamer Teen: "It was a tough fight, the lich cast a spell that...''

And the gamer teen could go on for several minutes describing a true unique and personal adventure, not just a copy of what many others have done to get to ''x'' in a video game.

This drew lots of gamers back to the game.