View Single Post

Thread: Ranged Magus?

1. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Ranged Magus?

Quote Originally Posted by Keno Darkfire View Post
    A way to add ranged touch attacks to the spellstrike ability is already included in the existing magus arcanas, bit convoluted but would pick up the magus arcana: Close range, which converts ranged touch spells into melee touch spells which could then be used with the now range based spellstrike.
    While that is true, I still think you should build it into the archetype regardless. I mean, you already give up (in my opinion) one of the coolest and most powerful class abilities (spell combat). Why not make it a little more worth a characters while and give it to them automatically? Why make them use a magus arcana, when they only get six anyways? I like the concept a lot (especially if it applies to all ranged weapons, gunslinger/ magus would be so awesome, but I don't think thats close to what you want), but I think it needs to be a little bit more powerful. It feels like your giving up too much for too little. Sure, five feats for three and armor prof. sound cool, but they are more limited then the regular feats. I'm not saying this would be bad to play. I just feel that it lacks.... pzazz, if you catch my drift. Like it's just missing one or two things to make it go from "Okay, not bad", to "Now this is something I wanna play!". Well, that's just my opinion anyways
    Edit: An idea just hit me. You could modify the arcana a bit, so if you cast a ranged or melee touch spell with multiple charges or attacks and channel it through you weapon, you can attack up to x, where x is the number of attacks you can normally make on a full attack action or the charges and/or attacks the spell has, whichever is less. Just make it a full round action that only works with spells with a casting time of standard or less (or however you want, because it's your archetype).
    Last edited by Raenel; 2015-07-07 at 01:06 AM.