1. - Top - End - #60
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Myrrh, Frankincense, and Steel: Kurald Galain's Guide to the Magus

As a general note, I've got a Magus in a group I play with on Thursdays who makes good use of the Shocking Grasp schtick - doesn't hurt that the GM's both houseruled away crit confirmations and made crits autohit, which makes critfishing OP as all get-out. But he's started to run into something shutting his damage down pretty hard - namely, spell resistance. Shocking Grasp is SR:Yes, which means that any creature that has level-appropriate SR, of which there's quite a few, stands a very fair chance of saying nope to his main damage output. What I'm saying is, I'd make it pretty clear that if somebody's going to rely on SG, they should be sure they've got a couple boosts handy to get through SR if they need to. Not sure what, aside from basic CL boosts, but it bears looking into.

Also, electricity resistance/immunity is a thing. Lesser Rods of Elemental Spell are cheap - 3k - and highly useful for dealing with this from mid-levels up; at that price tag, it's well worth it to have a couple of each other type handy, or potentially even learn the feat, if you know specifically what type of baddie with resistance electricity you'll be running up against a lot. It may do a lot less damage than Intensified SG, but half of full damage is better than none of full-and-a-half.
    Last edited by AnonymousPepper; 2015-07-06 at 08:32 AM.