View Single Post

Thread: Experience calculation

1. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Experience calculation

Quote Originally Posted by Sagetim View Post
    As you can see, the xp calculation was 375 for everything. 375 just isn't that much, so what can we do to make up for that? Well, for one, they don't have a four player party. That's an immediate disadvantage as far as the rules of the game are concerned, and worthy of an xp bump...

All together I would give them double normal xp (750) ...
    The calculation already factors in that there are only two PC's. If it were a four person 1st level party, each of them would have only gotten 188 xp.

Keep in mind that PC's reach 2nd level at a mere 1,000 xp. An XP award of 375 is a LOT of XP for first level characters; it's more than 1/3 the way to the next level. Getting to 2nd level is supposed to take more than 13 'equal level' encounters (ie - a first level character should routinely get about 75 xp per encounter).

Quote Originally Posted by wingsofclarity View Post
    I am not the best DM; consider myself a beginner [DM], though quite familiar with playing a PC.
    If you don't mind a little self-promotion on my part, I have written a campaign log that many say provides great DM insights. Maybe reading it will help you as you start your journey as a DM. Good luck on your game!
    Last edited by ksbsnowowl; 2015-07-08 at 10:30 PM.