1. - Top - End - #1178
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXIII: I Do Not Like Green Tides and 'Hann

Scoring for each game as follows;

Primaries
    Win = 6 points
    Draw = 3 points
    Loss = 1 points

Secondaries
    Slay the Warlord = 1 Point
    First Blood = 1 Point
    Line Breaker = 1 Point
    Last Laugh = 1 Point (same as 1st blood, but for the last kill of the game)

Each mission will also have 3 tertiary objectives to be listed before each game.

Game #2

Spoiler: Iron Warriors
    Show

125 - Warpsmith, Aura of Dark Glory [Warlord]

205 - 10x CSM, 2x Plasma, Rhino
    146 - 7x CSM, 1x Melta, Rhino

145 - Vindicator, Daemonic Possession, Combi bolter, Dozer Blade
    145 - Vindicator, Daemonic Possession, Combi bolter, Dozer Blade
    234 - 3x Obliterators, MoT

vs

Spoiler: Grey Knights
    Show

Libby, ML3, Staff
    5x Termies, 1x Hammer, Land Raider Crusader
    5x Termies, 2x Hammers, Land Raider Godhammer

Spoiler: Mission, Objectives, Warlord, Deployment
    Show

Mission: Cleanse and Control (Maelstrom)*
    Deployment: Vanguard

Tertiary Objectives - All worth 1 point
    1) Achieve more than half the total amount of tactical Objectives during the game
    2) Achieve 3 tactical Objective in one turn
    3) Control more table quarters than your opponent at the end of the game

*Note that if you get a card you could not achieve, you were able to freely discard it immediately (ie, your only psycher is dead and you draw cast a psychic power? Discard.)

Warlord got +1 VP when warlord or unit holds "hold Objective X" objectives.
    His warlord got +1 sanctic power and rolled Gate, hammerhand, cleansing flame and vortex.

We alternate placing objectives and I opt to place them all along one board edge, since it means he'll have to sit in his own DZ if he chooses that side, or I can sit in my own DZ if I get that side.

I win sides and choose the one with all the terrain to hide in and all the objectives I placed and also win 1st turn, and choose to go 1st so I can try and blow up his 'raiders before they can get close enough to assault all my stuff.

Warpsmith and melta unit out of LOS and holding objective #1, plasma squad supporting and ready to diembark into the ruins as appropriate while Oblits on the ramparts eyeing off objective #5 and the Vindies positioned centrally to minimise his deployment options, trusting in their FA13 to deflect those lascannons.

Spoiler: Turn 1
    Show

Chaos
    I draw destroy a building or fortification control objective markers 1, 2 and 4.
    1 vindy moves forward a bit and shakes the godhammer, then the oblits sneak a pen through with a lascannon and immobilise the godhammer! GG, that's pretty much game there. I move forward a bit and shake the crusader with the other vindy.

The warpsmith's unit is already holding Objective 1, so the plasma unit scoots over to objective #2 since it can't actually hurt anything.

3 points for me (1 point each, +1 bonus from the warlord trait).

Maelstrom 3 - 0

Grey Knights
    He draws crap like "control double the number of objectives your opponent does" and "kill 3 units with shooting".

He trundles the crusader forward a bit and wounds an oblit with combined asault cannon and hurricane fire. The godhammer glances a vindicator using PotMS but doesn't disgorge its cargo.

Maelstrom 3 - 0

Spoiler: Turn 2
    Show

Chaos
    I draw hold any 3 objectives and have 3 units within 12" of your table edge (and no enemy units within 12") and retain the hold objective #4

The vindies move up to control objective #4 but can't pen the crusader again. The oblits head over to claim Objective #5 on the fortress parapets and take aim at the crusader, managing to shake it with their assault cannons, go rending!

The plasma squad disembarks to get a 3rd unit in my DZ and I score all 3 objectives, rolling a 3 for the d3 on holding 3 objective markers.

Maelstrom 7 - 0

Grey Knights
    He moves the crusader up a bit and the libby and friends jump out. I think they're going to multicharge my Vindies and realise what a terrible mistake I've made with positioning, but instead, he gates them aggressively into my backline but doesn't scatter. Unfortunately for him, he perils getting it off and loses all remaining warp charge.

The crusader kills an oblit with the PotMS assault cannon but they hold and the libbys squad rolls terribly for their storm bolters, only causing 1 wound on the disembarked plasma squad which is saved. They then run to spread out and try to avoid vindicator fire.

Maelstrom 7 - 0

Spoiler: Turn 3
    Show

Chaos
    I draw hold Objective #1, kill a unit via shooting and have a unit in your opponents DZ with none of their in your DZ

I consider being a douche but think the better of it and my opponent asks what I'm thinking. I reply that I was going to tank shock him and he suggests that I do it. OK.

The plasma squad jump back into their rhino and it moves 6" to be 1" away from the termies, the warlords rhino comes over to 1" from the other side of the termies and the closest Vindy does an about face and declares tank shock.

[DoW predator voice]"We will crush their skulls beneath our Iron treads! There will be nothing left to bury!"[/DoW predator voice]

He fails to stop me with his death or glory daemon hammer attack and;

Iron Coffin!

That's warlord (and over a 1/4 of his armies points).

The other Vindy scatters off and the Oblits just manage to get down the side of the fortress but can't manage to do anything to the crusader.

Maelstrom 7 - 0

Grey Knights
    The crusader backs up and plinks away at the oblits to no effect. The godhammer tries for the rear armour on the vindy that just smushed the termies and libby but misses despite twin linked.

Maelstrom 7 - 0

Spoiler: Turn 4
    Show

Chaos
    The vindy in the middle pops the godhammer, killing a terminator in the explosion, the oblits wreck the crusader and the rhinos go camp objectives for maelstrom points.

I cash kill a unit and the warlord picks up objective #1 again for a bonus point from the warlord trait.

Maelstrom 10 - 0

Grey Knights
    The termies head back to the safety of cover behind their shattered building. and that's about all they can do.

Spoiler: Turn 5
    Show

Chaos
    I get hold objective #1 again and hold objective #5

The Oblits just squeeze into linebreaker and I pop 1 more terminator with the vindies. Warlord picks up another 2 points from objective #1 and the oblits cash have a unit in their DZ and have none of theirs in yours.

Maelstrom 13 - 0

Grey Knights
    They continue to hide as best they can and we don't bother rolling to see if it continues.

GG, game ends.

Spoiler: Results and Discussion
    Show

I have 13 maelstrom points, 1st blood, linebreaker, warlord, last laugh, I completed over half the objectives, I completed all 3 objectives in 1 turn and I control more table quarters for 20 points
    My opponent has 0 points.

Major Victory for the Iron Warriors this day!

That was prety brutal, and decided very early when everything went my way. I won table edge, I won 1st turn, I got awesome maelstrom cards, I immobilised a 'Raider with a lascannon before he got to move out of his DZ, he gated too aggressively and everything just generally went my way.

Almost flawless victory bar the single oblit., but you get that with such low model count army. Win big, lose big with termies in 'raiders at 1k. My opponent faced off against both tau players and smashed both of them since they both only had a single IA riptide that could even hope to hurt the raiders. One of those games was kill points, so I'll let you imagine just how well that went for the tau.

I did make a serious error in moving both vindies up on turn 2, and the game would have been a bit different if he had've popped both of them with the libby & friends coming out of that crusader, but he didn't, and I spotted what I did wrong, so all is well. I did get a chance to kill stuff via tank shock though, so that's always a winner.
    Last edited by Drasius; 2015-08-23 at 05:56 AM.