Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
My argument is simply based on where that exact knowledge came from and how your character came into its possession.
Again, the knowledge comes from the fact that the character is a genius wizard with piles of divinations. Those things you listed, they're all things that a wizard is great at knowing about. And, realistically, all a wizard has to know for this to work is that efreeti grant wishes, which seems like an easy enough thing to know given that their whole deal is their interesting interactions with people. After that, you just bind one in, and wish for a magic item that gives three wishes, and the loop is closed. You do have to know about candles for the candle plan to work, but it's a cheap magic item and is thus relatively common as per the rules.
No, I challenged where "regular" 17th level casters come from without being "handcrafted" by the GM.
Stuff must come from somewhere or else "its magic" will simply run rampant. Eggs come from chicken and Candles of Invocation come from 17th Cl divine casters and thatīs it. No chickens, no eggs, no crafting divine casters of that level, no candles. Simple as that.
I think that eggynack nailed it that stuff has to come from somewhere and that this somewhere might be extraplanar, but that is just giving RAW an explanation.
His way works too. As long as there exists a being that can produce such an item, there is a RAW explanation for the item's presence in various shops. The creatures in question need not be common for them to be present. Maybe the items are extraplanar in origin, or maybe they come from particular high level NPC's, or maybe the Gods themselves are crafting them, or maybe every candle of invocation in existence comes from some jerk wizard calling up an efreeti and wishing for one, and the initial knowledge comes from some epic ancient wizard. I don't know which, and I don't especially care which. The rules say that certain things are the case, so they're the case. It's not like the existence of these items strictly contradicts anything.