View Single Post

Thread: GitP Regulars As Subclasses

1. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Regulars As Subclasses

Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    College of Grog, Booze, Hooch, Moonshine, Liquor, or the Hard Stuff
    Some Bards tell stories of battles, and many others fight through them. But not you. You make stories, the stuff of legends! Stuff that no sane man would ever dare to do! That is, no sane man who hasn't drank himself halfway into being comatose. Good thing is, that's you, so thank College Founder Iris Muskahn for your condition.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bonus Proficiencies
    Upon joining the College of Beer, you gain proficiency in medium armor and unarmed combat, in addition to one skill of your choice.
    This is fine I think....added unarmed combat to the proficiencies because I couldn't remember if that is always proficient for everyone.
    Boosted Charisma
    In addition, when you join the College of Scotch, you suffer no adverse effects from any kind of alcoholic beverage due to your extensive experience with the drink, and have resistance to poison At level 10 you are immune to poisons. Also stemming from your experience as a drunkard, while drunk, you may expend one usage of your Bardic Inspiration to add the bonus die to a singular ability check, attack, or saving throw you make.
    Just added the poison step up resistance and immunity. Also added the attack to the BI, since it has it in the book that way.
    Drunk Boxing
    Once you reach 6th level in the College of Bourbon, while under the effects of alcohol, whenever you attack or are made the target of an attack, you may use your reaction to expend one use of your Bardic Inspiration to add to your attack roll (if attacking) or AC (if being attacked). In addition, when you are inebriated, you may add your Proficiency Bonus to your Unarmed Strike damage. And you unarmed damage uses d6's, and become magical for purposes of resistance. At level 11 these become d8's. And at level 17 they become d10's. Use may use Dexterity as you primary ability for these attacks, while drunk.
    Added this as kind of a "smack them around like a monk" kind of thing. Since it is Drunken Boxing. Not sure if this is getting to be too much all in one go, but it gives it some more mechanical use, I think. Opinions?
    Slurred Spellcasting
    Reaching the pinnacle of alcoholic potential in the College of Whiskey at 14th level, your spells sometimes come out a little strange. When you cast a spell with a Verbal component while under the influence, you may choose to roll on the Wild Magic table twice, causing the additional effect of your choice as well as the spell's normal effect. Additionally, when you cast a spell, you make also make an unarmed attack on your turn.
    Took out the twice to the Wild Magic table, and added a little Unarmed Strike in there, for the theme.
    Author's Notes: I'm not very good with Bard-ing, so this might be a little underwhelming. I wasn't quite sure what to do with it, so if someone thinks they can do better, go ahead.[/QUOTE]

Made a few changes, Wartex, to make it a little more mechanically stronger. Let me know what you think! I've bolded the changes, and anyone else's opinion is greatly appreciated. I am definitely no Homebrew expert. But strengthening the mechanics, while still keeping the RP aspect, really makes this an awesome build, Wartex. Now I have to use it!!

Cleaned up Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    College of Grog, Booze, Hooch, Moonshine, Liquor, or the Hard Stuff
    Some Bards tell stories of battles, and many others fight through them. But not you. You make stories, the stuff of legends! Stuff that no sane man would ever dare to do! That is, no sane man who hasn't drank himself halfway into being comatose. Good thing is, that's you, so thank College Founder Iris Muskahn for your condition.

by Wartex1

Bonus Proficiencies
    Upon joining the College of Beer, you gain proficiency in one skill of your choice. You unarmed combat damage becomes 1d4, and you may use Dexterity as you primary ability for these attacks, while drunk. Also, While you are not wearing any armor, your Armor Class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + Half your proficiency modifier rounded up

Boosted Charisma
    In addition, when you join the College of Scotch, you suffer no adverse effects from any kind of alcoholic beverage due to your extensive experience with the drink, and have resistance to poison At level 10 you are immune to poisons. Also stemming from your experience as a drunkard, while drunk, you may expend one usage of your Bardic Inspiration to add the bonus die to a singular ability check, attack, or saving throw you make.

Drunk Boxing
    Once you reach 6th level in the College of Bourbon, while under the effects of alcohol, whenever you attack or are made the target of an attack, you may use your bonus action/reaction to expend one use of your Bardic Inspiration to add to your attack roll (if attacking) or AC (if being attacked). In addition, when you are inebriated, you may add your Proficiency Bonus to your Unarmed Strike damage. And your unarmed damage uses d6's, and become magical for purposes of resistance.. At level 11 these become d8's. And at level 17 they become d10's.

Slurred Spellcasting
    Reaching the pinnacle of alcoholic potential in the College of Whiskey at 14th level, your spells sometimes come out a little strange. When you cast a spell with a Verbal component while under the influence, you may choose to roll on the Wild Magic table, causing the additional effect of your choice as well as the spell's normal effect. Additionally, when you cast a spell, you make also make an unarmed attack on your turn.

edit: After doing some playtesting and character building, having the medium armor prof didn't seem to do well. Instead, I thought, since it is a melee heavy sub-class, they could have a "natural-armor" type of thing. Giving them full ability bonuses seemed too strong (like monk or barb), but giving them a dex mod + half prof rounded up seemed like a good compromise to keep up with combat in later levels and still be fair overall.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2016-07-28 at 10:13 AM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally