View Single Post

Thread: Non-blaster Sorcerer viability

1. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground
    Default Re: Non-blaster Sorcerer viability

I like sorcerers. I know I lack the power ceiling of a wizard, but I'm still a full caster, so I'm plenty powerful enough. I've found diversity to be the key in picking spells. I like to have a few damage spells (I'm found of magic missle, fireball for nostalgia if nothing else, and disintigrate, and maybe one more, often either delayed blast fireball or horrid wilting). Then I like to have some crowd control save or suck spells, at least one targeted save or die. A splash of divination. And some defensive magic. And of course the utility spells like phantom steed, teleport, etc. The new metamagic variant sorcerer from PHB2 really beefs up the class because it opens up energy substitution meaning you really only need one or two damage spells, and you can use the might of quicken spell.
    The key to a good sorcerer is the same as any other character, good planning. What PrC(s) am I aiming for? What spells do I like and what is the priority for learning them? Sor6/Io7V or Incantrix 10/Fullcaster PrC4 is a nasty nasty build. Granted Initiate and Incantrix are possibly the most broken PrCs in the game to date. Too bad no archmage for sorcerers ever :(
    So it's not only possible, it's a lot of fun. And winning initiative and wiping out two arcane casters with a finger of death a rod quickened finger of death is awesome.
    Last edited by WildBill; 2007-02-18 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typos