1. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Taking away control of a PC for bad behavior

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I see your players are still terrible. I don't know how you've put up with it all these years.

It's an OOC problem, and the only times I've seen it resolved properly were OOC. You don't tell the player what his PC does. You put on your serious voice and tell the player (the guy at the table, in real life) that he agreed to play in a certain way, and if he doesn't like that, then he will not play in your game. It's not your job to babysit him; when he goes against the game's rules and etiquette, he is wasting the free time of you and everyone else at the table, and that is not acceptable. If he continues to refuse to play by the rules he agreed to, then you kick him out. It's that simple.
    Honestly this is more of a theoretical problem than a real problem. I have seen both DM's and players make threats irl, but I have never seen anyone on either side actually push the issue.

I do see it all the time on the forums though.

A long time ago I mentioned I had a house rule not letting PCs farm one another for loot (basically loot a dead PC, refuse to raise them, and then have their replacement come in with full WBL), I was told almost unanimously by this board that as a DM I had no right to tell players whether or not they could have their characters loot something.

On the other hand I have seen several threads recently about undead in D&D and how if a player character decides to summon or become undead then the DM will quickly take control of their character away from them and convert it to an NPC.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Seconded on that being a charged as hell title. I'd rephrase, and quickly.
    I guess its a little click-baitey, but I am not seeing why it is that inappropriate. Any idea what I should change it to or why?
    Last edited by Talakeal; 2016-02-24 at 11:52 PM.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.