Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
Honestly this is more of a theoretical problem than a real problem. I have seen both DM's and players make threats irl, but I have never seen anyone on either side actually push the issue.

I do see it all the time on the forums though.

A long time ago I mentioned I had a house rule not letting PCs farm one another for loot (basically loot a dead PC, refuse to raise them, and then have their replacement come in with full WBL), I was told almost unanimously by this board that as a DM I had no right to tell players whether or not they could have their characters loot something.
Thankfully it doesn't come up much in real life because players usually know better. And also, if you can say with credibility that you'll kick out troublemakers, people understand and respect that. They're not as likely to push the limits then.

As for the looting thing, I used to think that way a while back, but I see the other side of it now. If your players agreed to the houserule, they really have no business trying to go against it. Also, 3rd edition and the culture around it had a huge degree of DM-disempowerment, where DMs were expected to allow players to do anything permitted by RAW, no matter how harmful it was to the game or the OOC social context. I participated in that myself, and I realize now that it was a deeply flawed and unhealthy attitude for the community to take.